Monday, April 14, 2014

Vacation Mini

Well, I got a lot of new craft materials in the last two weeks.  Shhh...don't tell anyone.  I have been excited to try them all out!  First of all, I got many items from Heidi Swapp's new lines Dreamy and Favorite Things.  I really like the ephemera packs from both and there is truly a lot of great stuff in there. A lot of acrylic bits.  I hadn't noticed in the previews that the memory files were going to be in new shapes so I was pretty excited when I opened up the kits and saw that.  I was also pleased to see that the rub-ons had been replaced with a sticker sheet.  Much easier to use!  I liked the cute rub-ons but I did have some problems with them and often ended up with them coming off in places I did not want.  I do feel that the quality of the file folders is a bit less than previous purchases.  They are a bit thinner.  I don't feel it's a huge problem but loved how the ones I'd purchased before were closer to chipboard.  These are more like cardstock.  Anyhow, in March my family and I had taken a trip to an indoor waterpark and I thought I would use some of these new items to make a fun mini of that time.

I also had wanted to use the Hello Today lace cut papers from Michael's and those papers work really well with the Dreamy collection so I went ahead and combined a few things.
The main covers of the album is a file folder from the Dreamy kit.  I used some of the 6x6 dreamy papers and the Kraft Tags to embellish it.  The chipboard elements are from Hello Today.
On the left side (not pictured) I created an envelope and tucked journaling cards in there to include my written memories of the trip.  I decided to do that rather than find a place to journal on the pages on the right side (shown above).  I created a waterfall page effect by cutting the papers at continually longer lengths.  These pages are contained within a mini memory file from the Hello Today kit.  Some pages are just the fun cut word shapes from the Hello Today paper pad.  I used metal rings to attach it to the right side of the file folder.

I also used this album to experiment with some mixed media techniques I am learning.  The top photo page (inside of the mini file folder) has some acrylic paint mixed with color shine around the edges.  I also used a stencil with some modeling paste to create dimension.  I also watered down some color shine to create a fun, shiny splash with drips - perfect for the water park.  There is also some subtle color with wax crayons that I smudged with water.  It's all hard to see in the picture but it gives the page a watery feel which matched my theme.

I'm looking forward working some additional items from these collections!


No comments:

Post a Comment