Monday, April 28, 2014

Another reason to love mini albums

For me, 2014 has surely become the year of the mini album.  I LOVE making them.  I LOVE so many things about them.  After my most recent project I am only adding to the love list.  So what is this new love?  Well, it's that I can make an album of just one day if I want.  See, we spent a morning in early April at a beautiful park near our home right along the lakeshore.  It was chilly but sunny, and honestly one of the best Saturday's we'd had in a LONG, long, long time.  Yes, winter has been harsh this year!  We had such fun with our kids and got some really wonderful pictures together.  Rather than find a way to fit all these great photos on one scrapbook page or a two page (or more) layout, I just made a mini album.  I LOVE that!  Don't you?  It's just so perfect.

I decided to use a memory file from Heidi Swapp's Mixed Company kit.  Inside I did back to back binding using some papers from the same collection.  I cut different edges using the shapes from some other memory files I had laying around.  With a 12x12 paper this created a shorter page.  I had taken a class online from Heidi Swapp a long time ago now where we had an album put together this way and we had embellished those shorter page edges in different ways so I thought that would be fun to do again here, albeit in a different way. 

I decided to use my Silhouette to cut out some fun words which I had purchased in Heidi Swapp's online shop.  They come in both .abr and.png files.  I used some textured cardstock I had on hand and I think they really added to the fun of this book.  I filled it with large photos to show off the beautiful scenery.
 I pulled elements from the Mixed Company ephemera and the color magic ephemera packs.  I think there is some Favorite Things mixed in there as well.  I also worked with the rub-ons from the memory file kit.  And while I've not loved the citron color shine too much in the past, it really worked well to give a great color pop on several of the pages.  I stuck with the blue/green papers and not the pink ones from the collection as I wanted to highlight that beautiful blue water!


 I created a little pocket on each of the short pages to contain my writing about the day.  This created plenty of space to tell about not only our adventure but also about the boys at this moment in time.  I do enjoy doing that - stopping and just documenting what my boys are like RIGHT NOW.  They are always up to something funny.



I'm really happy with how this one turned out and it is so much fun to look through these beautiful outdoor pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment